Our worship community is centrally situated in the Heartland town of Gore, in the southernmost region of New Zealand.
Gore is a bustling, attractive town, sitting picturesquely on the banks of the Mataura River, which wends its way through some of New Zealand’s most productive and beautiful farmland. The Mataura is famed for the excellence of its trout fishing.
This area is steeped in history. We have warm gentle summers, abundant rainfall and crisp winters. The town is well-known for it’s beautiful gardens - both public and privately owned.
Worship Services at St. Andrew’s
“Praise the Lord, all you nations, extol him, all you peoples.
For great is his love towards us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever.
Praise the Lord!”
( From Psalm 117)
The Keystone of our worshipping life is an all-age service each Sunday morning at 10am.
Special services are held at other times, particularly at Easter, Christmas and Advent. Communion is celebrated quarterly (4 times a year). St. Andrew’s also participates in services at local rest homes on a regular basis.
A range of music and worship styles are used in our services. While the framework of our service is fairly traditional, with lectionary-based scriptural teaching and reflective prayers and hymns, it is also informal enough to accommodate band led worship, children’s talks and choral anthems by our own St. Andrew’s Church choir.
Echoes of our Celtic heritage are still apparent in the wonderful old hymns from Scotland, Ireland and the British Isles, complimented by more contemporary, but no less beautiful and reflective music from our own musicians and composers here in New Zealand.
We are lucky enough to have a fine pipe organ in our church which provides a wonderful lead to robust congregational singing during the service.
We very much encourage members of our congregation to share in our worshipping life at St. Andrew’s. Some of the ways you can be part of our worship are as singers in The St. Andrew’s Choir, the Bible reading or Prayer Roster, Sunday school, or the band. (Please contact the office and leave a message, or talk to the convenors of these activities.)
The St. Andrew’s Church and Hall.
This red brick, tile roofed building is still in use today. With a spacious 62 ft. by 42 ft. auditorium and 30 ft. stage the hall has a seating capacity of approximately 450 people. It is often used for concerts, gatherings, markets and other activities. The building also houses a large registered kitchen and several smaller lounges and meeting rooms.
The Hall, built in 1928 served the parish well for over 30 years but there was always an intention to build a more substantial church building on an adjoining site.
The foundation stone of the new building was laid in August, 1958 and the new church was opened on September 19th,1959 by the Rt. Rev. J.D. Salmond. The handsome brick church with it’s signature square brick tower boasts a pipe organ and a number of beautiful stained glass windows, the most recent of which was gifted to the parish by the bequest of Miss Sheila Stevenson in the 1980’s. In spite of the size of the building, overhead projection facilities and integrated sound systems allow the largest of congregations to hear and see everything that is going on with ease.
The modern glass-fronted atrium which connects the two buildings was part of a church-wide refurbishment undertaken in 2002-2003, creating the well used and integrated layout we know today. This warm sunny space is used for fellowship after worship and houses the office and administration areas of the church.
For any enquiries concerning the booking and hire of our facilities, please contact our Booking Secretary,Mrs. Jan Prattley, Ph; 2084311 for current charges, or leave a message at the office, Ph: 2088302
There are about 12,000 people living in the town and surrounding area. We are well served by a network of social and sporting amenities for all ages and interests. We have several schools, an art gallery displaying several significant New Zealand artists on permanent exhibit, museums, parks and recreational walks. A newly built multi-sports complex houses heated swimming pools, an ice skating rink and netball courts. This has proved a wonderful asset to the town, hosting many local and national competitions.